Al Sur - Civil society from Latin America and the Caribbean demands to respect human rights when governments deploy digital technologies to fight against COVID-19
The global pandemic that has been declared by COVID-19 is already affecting countries of Latin America and the Caribbean. Recognizing the seriousness of this health crisis and the legal possibility for governments to take exceptional measures to control the pandemic, it is essential to remember that these must be carried out in strict accordance with human rights standards.
Signed by AlSur, a consortium of 11 civil society organizations and academia from various Latin American and Caribbean countries that work to strengthen human rights in the digital context, composed by:
* Red en la Defensa de los Derechos Digitales, R3D, Mexico.
* IPANDETEC, Central America.
* Karisma Foundation, Colombia.
* Hiperderecho, Peru.
* Derechos Digitales, Latin America.
* Asociación por los Derechos Civiles, ADC, Argentina.
* Centro de Estudios en Libertad de Expresión y Acceso a la Información de la Universidad de Palermo, CELE, Argentina.
* Coding Rights, Brazil.
* Internet Lab, Brazil.
* Instituto Brasileiro de Defesa do Consumidor, Brazil.
* TEDIC, Paraguay.
(9 out of these 11 organisations are also members of the PI Global Network)
Link (Spanish): https://r3d.mx/2020/03/20/sociedad-civil-covid-19-ddhh/