China forces out Australian journalist
The Australian journalist Chris Buckley, who reports for the New York Times, was forced to leave China on April 10 after 24 years of reporting on the country, bringing the number of journalists forced out of the country in the last year to 19.
After travelling to Wuhan to report on the unfolding outbreak on the day the city was locked down in January, he was told to stop when his press card expired in February. The division of the Foreign Ministry responsible for international media organisations has also forced some Chinese staff working for US media to quit their jobs. Dozens more foreign journalists remain outside the country waiting for visas, some for months. Buckley has been told he may reapply in future.
Writer: Bill Birtles