Instagram - Two Factor Authentication
9th December 2022
We suggest using Two-Factor authentication, as it provides an extra security step in order to access your account. This way, besides asking for your username and password, Instagram will verify your identity by sending a unique code to your device.
This can be done using an authentication app or by SMS (text message). Let's go through both although you should be wary that SMS might not be the most secure.
On mobile app:
- Go to your profile by clicking the bottom right corner icon. Then tap the three stripe icon on the top right and choose Settings > Security > Two-factor Authentication
- You can now choose to your preferred authentication method:
- Two-factor authentication > Text message - If you go for Text Message, Instagram will send you a 6-digit code via text that you need to insert in the app. Make sure you save the recovery codes somewhere safe, you will need them if you lose access to the phone number you're using.
- Two-factor authentication > Authentication App > Install App - If you decide to use an Authentication App you will need one of those apps installed on your phone. If you don't have one yet you can tap Install App. After installing the app and following the instructions, enter the code that was generated from the new app in your Instagram. Keep this code safe as it will be needed every time you log into this account.
- Two-factor authentication > Authentication App > Set up manually - If you already have an authentication app and choose Set up manually , all you need to do is entering the key generated from Instagram into your authentication app. You will then get a 6-digit code that you will need to enter on Instagram.
Found a mistake? An outdated screenshot? Think this could be improved? Check out our Github repository and contribute to help keep these guides up-to-date and useful!